It’s hard to believe that we’ve almost reached the end of the year. And what a year it has been! We have read thousands of challenge entries and featured nearly 100 (!!!) writers here on the blog in our monthly roundups. But there is one more challenge left, so make it count!
This month, your challenge is to write a single-chapter longform story in response to this writing prompt:
It’s New Year’s Eve and you’ve been given the chance to do one thing over—to turn it all around. Choose wisely!
With the upcoming holidays, we will be extending the entry period all the way to the end of the month, so you have until December 31st to enter your longform chapter into the challenge. We will post the featured stories in January. Good luck! We can’t wait to read your do-overs.
December Challenge: The Do-Over
1. Theme of the month: The Do-Over - Your challenge this month is to write a SINGLE CHAPTER LONGFORM based on this writing prompt: It’s New Year’s Eve and you’ve been given the chance to do one thing over—to turn it all around. Remember, all stories submitted to the challenge must follow our community guidelines.
3. Submit - When you have finished your book, select “December Challenge” on the details page before you publish. You may only submit one book to the challenge, so make it great!
4. Eligibility – Any Storybird member can participate in our writing challenge, but only stories published from Regular accounts will appear in our public library (see below). Paid membership is not required but it will allow you to display your beautiful badges like the one shown below and receive printable certificates for each challenge.
5. Moderation - Paid membership ensures your work is reviewed within 1-2 days. Otherwise, your work will be reviewed on a first-come, first serve basis and can take up to several weeks to be visible in the public library. We try to accelerate Challenge entries because of the short timeframe, but there are no guarantees.
6. Due date - To be eligible to be featured, your story must be submitted to moderation on or before December 31, 2017. Select stories will be featured on the Storybird blog at the end of the month and may also be featured in our New & Noted section.
Please note: You must have a Regular account to enter the challenge—Student accounts are not eligible. Stories must be published from Regular accounts to appear in the public library, to be featured on our blog, and to earn the badge. Stories published from Student accounts are only visible to members of your class and do not appear in the public library.
Featured artwork (top) by shishir_naik