Does it ever feel like you can’t keep a secret from your parents? Or, that they remind you not to sneak an extra slice of cake while you’re still thinking about it… or that they just seem to ‘know’ when you’re not telling them all the truth? And, why do they usually have all the answers anyway? Well, it might not just be because they’re grownups… just imagine for a minute that it might be because they have superpowers.
This month we ask you to imagine Dad’s Secret Superpower. It can be anything from the ability to fly to the moon, to matching socks from the dryer as long as it’s secret, and a superpower. Tell us about that superpower and how he uses it for the betterment of all humankind (or just your neighborhood, family, or laundry).
Pick an image and start writing a PICTURE BOOK and include the theme above. You are free to interpret this any way you like as long as you include a paternal figure (it does not have to be about your own dad). You may draw on your own experience, but your story should not be autobiographical (i.e. it should be fiction, not non-fiction) and should never include identifying details.
1. Your challenge - is to write a PICTURE BOOK that includes the theme. Remember, all stories submitted to the challenge must follow our community guidelines.
2. Start by choosing your artwork – Browse our library of images to find the artwork that inspires you, or search for a specific theme.
3. Write your story - Using the image you chose as a starting point, write your story.
4. Submit your story to the challenge - When your story is complete, select this month’s challenge from the dropdown on the book details page (it’s on the page before you submit to moderation). Please submit only ONE brand new story to this Challenge. (Note if you have a student account, you will not see this option — see Eligibility below.)
5. Eligibility – Any Storybird member can participate in our writing challenge. You join simply by participating. Paid membership is not required but it will allow you to display your beautiful badges like the one shown below, receive printable certificates for each challenge, and ensure your work is reviewed within 1-2 days.
You must have a Regular (non-student) account for your story to appear in the public library and to be featured on our blog and to earn the badge. Stories published from Student accounts are only visible to members of your class.
6. Moderation - Paid membership ensures your work is reviewed within 1-2 days. Otherwise, your work will be reviewed on a first-come, first serve basis and can take up to several weeks to be visible in the public library. We try to accelerate Challenge entries because of the short timeframe, but there are no guarantees.
8. Due date - To be eligible to be featured, your story must be submitted to moderation on or before June 25, 2017.
Select stories will be featured on the Storybird blog at the end of the month and may also be featured in our New & Noted section.